About Chile Peppers
Chile peppers also spelled as chilli pepper or chilli peppers in different parts of the world. They belong to the genus of Capsicum and the Night Shade Family known as Solanaceae. The use of Chile peppers can de bated back from 7500 BC , Mexico is known to be cultivating this self pollinating crop since 6000 years or more. Christopher Columbus on his voyage to the Caribbean’s was the first European who got his hands on chile peppers. He called them peppers because of their white and black colour and more over they were hot and spicy unlike other vegetables. Chilli peppers soon became the culinary substitute to peppercorns as they were so expensive that there was a point where peppercorns were a legal currency of some countries. The introduction of chile peppers in Asia was more of like a coincidence; the Portugal traders brought in chile peppers with them to trade and promote them in Asian countries. Today chile peppers forms an integral part of India, Thai and Arab cuisine.
Chile Peppers Nutrition Value
- Vitamin-A, and flavonoids like ß-carotene, a-carotene, lutein, zea-xanthin, and cryptoxanthin.
- Chilies are also good in B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), riboflavin and thiamin (vitamin B-1). These vitamins are essential in the sense that human body requires them from external sources to replenish.
- Chili pepper contains an impressive list of plant derived chemical compounds that are known to have disease preventing and Health Promoting Properties.
Health Benefit of Chile Peppers
- Chilies prevent diabetes and boost metabolism.
- Reduces asthma and wheezing.
- Reduces risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Relieving arthritic pains in the extremities relief from symptoms of colds, sore throats and fevers.
- Excellent source of calcium and vitamin C.
- killing cancer cells.
- Reducing inflammation.
- Producing fat oxidation which can aid in weight loss.
- Helping with gastric relief.
- Preventing sinus infections.
- Psoriasis relief.
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.44 g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.5 g||3%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.201 mg||4%|
|Vitamin A||952 IU||32%|
|Vitamin C||143.7 mg||240%|
|Vitamin E||0.69 mg||4.5%|
|Vitamin K||14 µg||11.5%|
|Calcium||14 mg||1.5 %|
Chile peppers are intense in nature. Two tablespoons of Chile pepper powder consist of 15 calories. This food is not just low on calorie but is also very rich source of vital vitamins such as Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin C , Fibre and other minerals such iron, manganese and copper. Chile peppers are known to have capsaicin that gives the taste of pungency it is also known to posses neuropeptide that has anti inflammatory properties. This is used in treating digestive disorders, and also helps in reducing pain caused by arthritis, psoriasis, and diabetic neuropathy. Eating spicy food can a be proven health benefit as chile peppers aid in faster metabolic activities and it also acts as a blood thinning agent. A table spoon of chili flakes in your diet can help you evade life taking diseases such as cancer; vitamin c and folic acid present in chile peppers helps to prevent prostate cancer and colon cancer in men. Chilli peppers is also highly recommended to smokers as it reduces the inflammation of lungs caused due to over dose of smoking. People facing asthma can look towards chile peppers for a relief; it helps in preventing sinus and relieves the congestion formed in lungs and nose.
How To Enjoy Chile Peppers
Chile peppers are available throughout the year in the market, they are found in different forms in order to suit the culinary purpose. Dried chile peppers , chilli paste, fresh chile peppers or even in powdered form there are plenty to chose from. The famous schezwan sauce that is highly used in Chinese cooking is made using lots of chile peppers grounded to form a intense paste. Goan cuisine in India and also the Andhra cuisine is highly dominated by the presence of chile peppers. Burritos or hot dogs both would taste bland without chili sauce. Chile peppers is also used as condiment in foods and sometimes also used as a toppings on pizza.
Chile peppers is definitely adding spice to the food and good health.