Hundreds of trees grow very tall and dance along with other trees. The activities of the trees are worth observing. Though many plants are dependent on water, few plants grow wonderfully in the water deficit zones of the earth like deserts. This topic will deal with American Pokeweed. The botanical name of this pokeweed is phytolacca Americana. These plants are cultivated lavishly in United States. These plants have high level of toxicity and poses risk to human being. These plants have bluish stems and white tap roots. The flowers are green to white. These plants are often found in pastures, recently cleared areas, and woodland openings. Pokeweed is a member of phytolaccaceae and a perennial plant. The birds disperse the seeds after eating the berries. They do not get affected by the toxicity of the seeds. The other common names of these plants are pokeberry, poke root, inkberry, pigeon berry.
- These plants can grow up to 10 feet. Leaves grow up to 16 inches in length and are medium green.
- The flowers have 5 regular parts with upright stamens and grow up to 0.2 inches.
- The fruits are shiny dark purple berry held in racemous clusters.
- The root generally grows deep and spreads horizontally.
|Nutrients||Amount Value||% DV of RDA|
|Vitamin B12, Added||0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin E (Alpha-tocopherol)||1.4025 mg||7%|
|Vitamin E, Added||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin K||178.2 mcg||223%|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.06435 mg||1%|
|Folate, Food||14.85 mcg||4%|
|Folate, DFE||14.85 mcg||4%|
- Pokeweed is used for treating arthritis, mumps and other skin diseases.
- Indians use pokeweed for treating rheumatism and skin disorders.
- The nutrients that are found in these plants are protein, minerals, fiber, calcium and thiamine.
Caution of Pokeweed
- The toxic chemical substance that is found in these plants is phytolaccagenin which is somewhat like saponin.
- The leaves and stems have to be cooked before consumption since they have high level of toxic substances which will damage the organs.
- The poisonous principles are found in roots and then in leave.
- Sources have confirmed that many children and infants have died eating these plants. Pokeweed grows in rich pasture and waste lands.