Earth is filled with plenty of flora and fauna. There are various types of flora namely Native flora, Agricultural flora and weed flora. The heart will sing a song when hundreds of flowers bloom in the morning sky. Flowers have some sort of fragrance which will open the doors of consciousness. This topic will deal with a root vegetable named Celeriac. The botanical name of this vegetable is Apium graveolens rapaceum. These plants are naturally found in Mediterranean basin and in Northern Europe. These plants grow in wild and cultivated in many countries. Some of the other countries are North Africa, South west Asia and North America. But it is originated in Mediterranean basin only. Celeriac is a perennial plant which grows throughout the year.
It is generally cultivated for its delicious underground root. This plant grows wonderfully in sunlight and needs soil rich in moisture. Turnip like gray, large and globular tuber forms underneath the ground. This is the unique aspect of this plant.
|Nutrients||Amount Value||% DV of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.30 g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 g||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.352 mg||6%|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0%|
|Vitamin C||8 mg||13%|
|Vitamin E||0.36 mg||2%|
|Vitamin K||41 µg||34%|
- It is very low in calories and contains many poly-acetylene anti-oxidants such as falcarinol.
- Researchers have found that celeriac contains anti-cancer properties.
- It may offer protection against colon cancer and leukemia.
- It is rich in Vitamin k and improves the brain function of the patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
- These plants also contain other vitamins, protein, carbohydrates and minerals.
- This odd-shaped celeriac has subtle celery like flavor with nutty overtones.
- When cooked for few minutes,it will be extremely delicious to eat.