Florence Fennel Health Benefits And Uses
Plants have colorful flowers which bloom wonderfully during spring seasons. Plants are considered as one of the sacred items by Indians, especially South Indians.
Basil leaves are used during Hindu religious functions and ceremonies. These leaves are mixed with the water and offered to the lord during prayers.
This topic will deal with a famous plant named Florence fennel which is a native of Italy. The botanical name of this plant is Foeniculum vulgare dulce.The name of this plant in Italy is finnochio and they are sold in the markets as sweet anise.
- The unique aspect of this plant is it gives only one vegetable, an herb and two spices.
- These plants are grown round the year and are also called perennial plants.
- These plants are found in roadsides, pastures and other natural habitats in Northern California.
- The feathery fronds emit an aromatic smell which is used to perfume a fish and soups.
- The aromatic fennels seeds are used in various cuisines around the world.
- This ornamental plant is grown for its leaf bases or bulbs.
The leaves are edible and used while in soup recipes. It is better to boil the bulb and serve it hot. The name fennel originated from the Middle english fenel or fenyl. The latin word for this plant is ferula which is now used as the genus.
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||14.87 g||48%|
|Dietary Fiber||39.8 g||104%|
|Vitamin A||135 IU||4.50%|
|Vitamin C||21 mg||35%|
Growth And Cultivation
- This plant grows through the year and is considered as a perennial herb.
- The leaves grow up to 40 cm long and these leaves are similar to those of dill.
- The flowers will look magnificent and grows in terminal compound umbels 5-15 cm wide.
- Each umbel will have up to 50 tiny yellow flowers on short pedicels .
- The fruit is a dry seed which grows up to 10 mm long.
- Florence fennel is a cultivator group which has bulged leaf bases known as bulb.
- In North America it is mislabeled and sold as anise.
- These plants are found in United States, Canada, Asia and Australia.
Florence Fennel Uses
- Fennel is one of the main herbs used in preparation of an alcohol drink absinthe which is very popular in Switzerland, France and other countries.
- These plants are rich in fibers, vitamins, calcium, magnesium and manganese.
- This vegetable is very rich in carbohydrate.
- The bulb, foliage and seeds are used while making cuisines.
- So to conclude the fennel seeds and the leaves are used lavishly in food items and consumed throughout the world.