Human-beings would not have enjoyed their life this much if the plants and trees are not there on this wonderful earth. This huge planet will be nothing but a huge vacuum space if the divine has not filled it with ecologically friendly plants and trees. It gives way to other lives and takes care of their needs by providing food and shelter. This topic will deal with a plant named yarrow which is a flowering plant found in many countries. The botanical name of this plant is Achillea millefolium.
Yarrow comes under the family Asteraceae and this plant is also referred as common yarrow and plumajillo. This plant is abundantly found in Asia, Europe, North America, New Zealand and Australia. The other common names of this plant are herbal militaris, gordaldo, nosebleed plant, old man’s pepper, devil’s nettle, sanguinary, milfoil, soldier’s woundwort, thousand-leaf, and thousand-seal.
Properties Of Yarrow
This is herbaceous erect perennial plant that has one or several stems. The stems grow to a height of 0.2 – 1m with an evenly distributed fernlike leaves along the stem. The largest leaves are found on the middle and bottom of the stem. The length of the leaves is 5- 20 cm long and they are bipinnate and feathery. The inflorescence has 4 to 9 phyllaries and contains ray and disk flowers. Yarrow has the capacity to tolerate dry spells and low solid fertility where other perennials will fade easily. This ornamental plant blooms during mid-summer to fall. The colors of the flowers are red, pink, salmon, yellow and white. This plant attracts many butterflies and tolerates dry soil. It grows wonderfully in well-drained soil with full sunlight. It does not grow well in wet soils.
Medicinal Uses Of Yarrow
- This wonderful and versatile plant looks equally at home in a perennial border, sunny rock garden, or wildflower meadow.
- Mildew disease is a problem in humid zones.
Yarrow is used for the treatment of fever, common cold, hay fever, absence of menstruation, dysentery, diarrhea, loss of appetite, gastrointestinal tract discomfort, and to induce sweating.
- Yarrow is herb which can be chewed to get relief from toothache.
- It is good for hemorrhoids or treating the wounds, pelvic diseases, cramp-like conditions in women.
- Yarrow is used as a cleanser in the face and also used in snuff.
- Yarrow oil is found in many shampoos.
- This plant has many chemicals that will reduce the high blood pressure and also has anti-inflammatory properties.