Human beings sow the seeds for commercial purpose and reap lots of money by selling the fruits or flowers. So, plants lead a purposeful life in the earth during its lifetime. Even after it departs from this world some of its left over such as timber is used for commercial purpose. This topic will deal with a unique plant named Chinese artichoke which comes under the family Lamiaceae. The botanical name of this plant is Stachys affinis. The other common names of this plant are Japanese artichoke, knot root, artichoke betony. This perennial plant originated in the country of China and its rhizome can be eaten as a root vegetable. The tubers are small and convoluted.
|Nutrients||Nutrition Value||% DV of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.4 g||1%|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg||7%|
|Vitamin B5||0.3 mg||3%|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg||6%|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg||4%|
|Vitamin A||15.6 IU||N/A|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg||5%|
|Vitamin C||8.9 mg||15%|
|Vitamin E||0.2 mg||1%|
|Vitamin K||17.8 mcg||22%|
Chinese Artichoke-Properties And Uses
- It will be very tough task to clean it properly without any dirt since the tubers does not have proper shape.
- The color of the skin is ivory-white color.Chinese poets compare it to jade beads since the structure of the plant is like beads.
- It has a nutty, artichoke-like flavor.It is used as a vegetable, in salad compositions.
- This plant prefers a well drained soil in a sunny position.
- This seasonal plant grows well in the months of October to December.
- Chinese artichoke grows to a height of 54.86 cm in metric.
- The flowers normally have both male and female organs.
- This artichoke is used for pickling in the country of China and Japan.
- Hundreds of bees throng these plants and if anyone is planning to attract bees can grow these plants in their garden.