Bertholletia excelsa is the scientific name of the Brazil nut. Brazil nut is not exactly from Brazil but a Bolivian fruit nut. It belongs to Ericales family. Eastern Bolivia, Columbia, Brazil, Venezeula and Guianas are the native places of Brazil nut. In Brazil Cutting of this tree is a punishable offense liable to various convicting procedures. It is widely spread in the banks of Amazon River. It is the largest tree among all other trees in the Amazon forest. It exceeds up to 50meter long and 2-3meter diameter.
Nearly its life span is around 500 years and some researches proved that it can withstand for 1 millennium as far. It doesn’t have branches nearly to half of its height and its trunk is geometrically straight. Brazil nut raises its crown high and creates a shade around its boundary. It has a smooth and light ash colored bark with ovoid shaped leaves nearly 20-35cm in length and 10-15cm in breadth. Very tiny and greenish white colored flowers with 5-8cm long. It has six differing mild cream colored petals with infinite amount stamens.
Its nuts are hard and large in size which may damage the trespassers. Its outer core is a hard like a coconut shell ranging up to 2kgs. It is a seed filled with water and nuts. The water content drags fully inside the ripening areas of the fruit. Two dozens of nuts packed inside like an Orange. Each nut is covered with brown shell and weigh up to 5gm. The nut takes nearly 14 months to mature next to the pollination. A rat family namely Agouti is the main source for securing the next span of the Brazil nut, a main source of reproduction. The matured tree comprises nearly three hundred fruits per yield. It remains unharmed after fallen from the height of 50meters.Mass production of Brazil nuts varies from region to region.
- 40% of nuts in Brazil,
- 10% in Peru
- 50% in Bolivia per annum.
Extraction Of Brazil Nut
These nuts are available in whole and sliced in the markets. It is loaded with poly unsaturated fatty acids which made this to get tarnished easily when exposed to sunlight and humid air. So buy the unshelled nuts for the future usage and shell it whenever it is required. A generous method to safeguard from staling is to keep the unshelled nuts inside airbags and store refrigerated.
Profitable Aspects In Brazil Nut
Using this nut in food tunes up the digestive system and regulates the routine functioning of the intestine. Reduce the ulcer inducing agents. It helps to keep the stability and quality of muscle growth by the enormous source of protein in it.
The vital ability of human body is assured by proper secretion of thyroid glands which is regularized by the selenium content in this nut. The combination of selenium and zinc prompt the render of WBC. The presence of Vitamin C increases the regeneration of the damaged cell. In case you were already a heart patient, high intake of saturated fats leads to gradual cure of heart disease than the regular treatments. The shell of the nut have also been used to blend the tea for treating stomach pain.
- Brazil nut comprises anti-oxidants, high calories, vitamins and some essential minerals. Its genetic behavior shows the ancient Amazonic nutrients.
- It has the linolenic and oleic acid which are mono-unsaturated fatty acids from the overall impact of the fat from calories.
- Fights free radicals.
- It increases the good cholesterol and regularizes the blood sugar level.
- Rich content of Vitamin E.
- It protects us from heart diseases and stroke due to over loaded LDL.
- Selenium content is more in Brazil nut which induces the immunity level and prevent from cancer and liver cirrhosis.
- Gluten free food production is enabled in this nut.
- During the cell membrane damage Brazil nut is providing vitamins to regularize its function.
- The traditional oil from the Brazil nut is used in our medicinal applications and for massaging purpose.
- It tastes good and smells pleasant
- Keep our skin from drying out of moisture.
- Cholesterol free oil can be used for cooking too.
- It is a healthy substitute for dwarf food and to treat auto-immune disorder.
- Large content of copper plays a major role in eradicating the Anemia and strengthens the bone.
- Nut oil is also used in preparation of soaps and shampoo conditioners.
Nutritional Value In Brazil Nut
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||66.43 g||221%|
|Dietary Fiber||7.5 g||20%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.184 mg||3.5%|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0%|
|Vitamin C||0.7 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin E-gamma||7.87 mg||52%|
Esculent Benefits Of Brazil Nut and Oil
- Brazil nuts can be tasted as whole or can be roasted to deliberate occasional habitude.
- They are also used in preparation of chocolate bars and puddings.
- Also be used as toppings in veggie salads and cakes.
- Brazil nut is abraded and used to polish the metals and slip wares.
- Used as a lubricator in the clocks.
- Artists use this oil for thickening the paints.
- Cosmetic industries make use of the Brazil nut oil for making face cream.
- Finally it comes to the end of the usage as a wax which is prepared only in Brazil.
Ill Effect From Brazil Nut
Persons who are sensitive to allergy can get rid from this. The reaction may vary from simple skin itch to instance Anaphylasis and leads to severe pain in abdomen causing nausea. Over consumption of Brazil nut leads to toxic selenosis reactions. The selenosis results in garlic breath, fatigue, hair loss, damage in neural schematic systems and death in extreme case. It is advised to take 2-4 nuts per day. Some countries banned the importing of unshelled nuts because of its toxic nature. It is having large amount of mycotoxins which damages the liver and leads to cancer.