Surviving on this planet without plants and trees is beyond imagination and unthinkable. Hundreds of plants have medicinal and nutritional values. Plants and trees have to be worshipped since they help the human beings in several ways. This topic will deal with Catsear herb that comes under the kingdom plantae. The botanical name of this plant is Hypochaeris radicata. The other common names of this plant are flatweed, false dandelion, long-rooted catsear, hawkweed, rooted catsear and dandelion. These perennial herbs grow up to 80 cm in height. This plant is drought resistance and found more in drier areas. This plant grows perfectly in sandy clay loam red soil. It is naturally found in lawns, fallow paddocks, disturbed areas, roadsides and waste places.It is derived from the words cat’s ear since it resembles like the ear of the cat.
Aspects of Catsear Flower
- The flower heads are up to 5-15 mm in diameter with bracts 2.5 cm long.
- Each stalk in this plant will contain 2 to 7 flowers.
- The flower stalks will emit a milky sap when broken.
- The achene is orange-brown and is 4-7 mm long.
- The color of the flower is bright yellow. This popular plant is seen in America, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
- It is listed as noxious weed in Washington State.
Uses of Catsear
- All parts of this plant are extremely edible.
- The leaves can be eaten raw in salads, steamed or used in stir-fries.
- The people of Greece use these leaves for making dishes.